Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Birthday Mittens for Mom

Back in 2012, my Mom asked for a pair of hand-knit mittens for her birthday.  I made these delightfully colorful mittens for her out of Mountain Colors Twizzle in the Hummingbird colorway using the Handful of Berries Mittens pattern by Jocelyn Tunney.


I enjoyed making the mittens, and Mom liked them, but they were just a tad bit to small, so they needed to be replaced this year.  Mom already has some fingerless mitts that I crocheted for her back in 2013 out of Caron Simply Soft Solids in the Grey Heather colorway with the Challenge Mitts pattern by Sharon Maher, so full mittens were in order.


I wanted a pattern with a large size range so I could re-use it for others if I liked it, which I did.  I selected the Waiting for Winter Mittens pattern by Susan B. Anderson, which has been really popular on Ravelry.  For Mom, I made the medium size out of Plymouth Yarn Coffee Beenz that we had purchased together during the Great Rhody Yarn Crawl 2013.  Rhode Island is the perfect size for a yarn crawl, though I will admit we didn't attempt the Block Island location.  


The best part is that my parents came to visit for Thanksgiving, so I was able to hand deliver the mittens and saw them worn as well.  The fit was great this time around.  The mittens actually matched too, I managed to not mess up the row counts for once, so both mittens are the same length in both the hand and the thumb!  I just might actually be getting better at this knitting thing. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment