Sunday, June 21, 2015

Workshop Apron

Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to get wood chips and saw dust out of fleece sweatshirts?  Hopefully not, but I can tell you, it's no fun.  Since Lee wears lots of fleeces, and he likes to spend some of his spare time in his workshop making wooden things, this is becoming quite the annoyance.  So we decided that he needs an apron for his workshop.  We went to JoAnn Fabrics and picked up a pattern, Simplicity 1512A, and most of the necessary materials.  We did have to place an Amazon order for the grommet tool.



After washing the fabric and pressing it, I copied the pattern pieces to tracing paper.


Then I cut out the pieces, which went well until the last piece.  Which I cut wrong.  Fortunately I caught this mistake quickly, when I compared it to the matching piece.  Apparently I lined the pattern piece up with the fold, just not the side of the piece I was supposed to.


I must have temporarily forgotten what those huge arrows represented.  I must have also forgotten how to read my own handwriting that specifically states what those arrows represent.  I really should stop working on projects after the time I normally go to sleep.

Anyway, I recut the piece.  While doing so, I didn't pay attention to the piece of fabric I had grabbed, and it had already been partially used.  This time it was the right shape, but had a whole corner missing.  Ugh.


I'm really glad I bought more fabric than I needed for this pattern.  I finally managed to pay enough attention to get it right and I was able to transfer the necessary markings.  At this point, I decided to go to bed, as I'm quite certain ripping seams because I'm too tired to think straight would not make me happy.

Sleep turned out to be a good decision.  Hemming went smoothly.  I followed through the assembly steps for the pockets and the little D-ring tab with no issues.

Lee assisted with the grommets, and the ties were added.



All things said, I think it came out pretty well.  



Lee seems pretty happy about his new workshop apron.







No comments:

Post a Comment