Sunday, September 27, 2015

Workbench Add-on for Cutting Sheet Goods

One thing that I've struggled with since starting woodworking has been working with full sheets (8'x4') of plywood. Not only is moving them around and storing them tough, but cutting them is a pain as well. I don't have a cabinet style/size table saw that can safely cut full sheets, which leaves me using a circular saw to cut them. 

I looked into the problem on some forums and some people use their table saw while others made 8'x4' tables out of 2"x4"'s and just left it outside to cut full sheets on. 

I have already used my mobile work bench outside to cut full sheets of plywood, but its a bit cumbersome and requires two people to safely make cuts. What I decided to do was to build supports that can go on top of my workbench and extend the top to 4' wide. It also provides some depth so I don't cut into the workbench.

Tools:

  • Miter Saw (circular saw is fine too)
  • Drill
  • Countersink Bit

Materials:
  • 3 - 2"x4"x8'
  • 16 screws at least 2 1/2" in length
  • Mobile Workbench

I started by cutting two 2"x4"'s in half and cutting eight 6" blocks out of the third board.

Next I clamped one of the 6" blocks to the bench flush with the top and then set the 2"x4" across the top. Make sure to center the 2"x4" on the workbench. With the board centered, pre-drill some holes in the top to keep the board from splitting when you put the screws in. 

After you screw in one side its time to do the next.

Repeat the process a few times and you will have a good set of supports for cutting full sheets.

With these supports I was able to cut down four sheets of 3/4" plywood myself, and did not have to worry about the board pinching the blade or falling. 

As you can see in the picture below I've cut through the 2"x4" supports quite a few times, this isn't a problem now, but eventually if I cut through them too much and the plywood doesn't sit flat I will have to replace them. They are only rough construction lumber so the cost is very inexpensive. Also when making cuts make sure you remain aware of where the screw head are so that you do not wreck your saw blade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment